Search This Blog

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Recruit 5 makes a mile stone!

I have always loved watching my kids play sports, perform dance, play music, or whatever. I love watching them work hard and being privileged to witness those moments of triumph. I have been blessed beyond any doubt and I am grateful!

With frequent deployments, teams and coaches have always been important in my arsenal of weapons when it comes to kids, deployment, frequent moves and staying sane.

So now Recruit 5 is old enough to join "the older kids" in activities. This season marks a mile stone for my sweet tiny guy.

For me this means a 'hole nuther' schedule to keep track of and games to work into my calendar. Not to mention the sport of choice for the fall season is Football!

Now you have to understand I LOVE football. Not watching it on TV, or playing it myself, but watching my little boys face their fears, learn discipline, and work as a team. AND BREAKING THROUGH A LINE. Sorry. I can't help it. When Recruit 1 started playing I was pregnant with R5 and R6 back to back football seasons. It just kind of stayed with me. It was those little boys I was knitting!

But Recruit 5... He is soooo sweet and tender. He's not a "break through the line" kinda guy. He is the diplomat, the intell guy, the lover - not a fighter. He is the one who only needs to be quietly reprimanded. He is crushed if harsh or unkind words are used. He randomly yells "love ya mom!" and will run in for a quick hug. How could I throw him into this beastly barbaric adrenaline rushing sport????

I didn't have to, it is now part of recruit training. Two have gone before, it's tradition. It is out of my hands.

But he is so gentle and kind.

I just made myself miss him. Hold on I have to go hug him real quick....

Okay - I'm back.

His first day of practice came and it was hotter than blue blazes. I stayed at home in bed where all self respecting people should be early a.m. on a hotter than blue blazes Saturday and The Marine excitedly took his son to dehydrate.

Two hours later they returned home... Dehydrated.He loved it! It was great! And that is ALL sweat! I had him give me a mean football face, but he looked retarded in it so I didn't post that one.

Since The Marine had to go work somewhere doing Marine stuff, I've been pulling football duty, which normally I love but the blazes around here are still blue and I don't dig the sweat.

Lucky for me a giant lighting bolt struck straight down somewhere on the other side of town, but we all saw it so that put the kabash (is that a real word?) on practice tonight. Little R5 beat serious cheeks to the jeep and jumped in all in one swift motion.

He didn't even take his helmet off before he leapt into the jeep.

He was freaked out by the lighting. He graced me with this photo, but then insisted I jump in and we get the heck out of there.

Okay I have to go hug him again and see if he'll let me rock him.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is a comment on the hiring help. The answer is a resounding DO IT! Denise said I should, way back when. Why don't you ask her?!! I hired housekeeping while Dan was gone. And That's when we started getting the babysitter 2 nights a week so I could have some alone time. You need it! Do it!

Gail said...

Kelli~
Stop the guilt!! Definitely, definitely find someone to help you out with the cleaning. Then, let me know. I have no kids, just 1 husband that messes the house up. I want someone, too! No kidding, I am tired of cleaning. I just want some down time when I come home.
Gail

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.