Search This Blog

Saturday, August 2, 2008

How would you feel locked out of the Temple?

The two little boys and I visited the Temple and the book store when we were in Raleigh. This was before Panera Bread and before THE CALL about my crazy boy and his even crazier injury.

When we arrived, the Temple was closed and the gate to the grounds was locked. It's a small Temple and I knew it might be. I thought it was worth the trip over there with the boys anyway. We could look at Moroni and the book store is down around the corner.
As we drove up Recruit 5 Said: "Oh this is the Temple I'm going to get married in!" I was a little taken aback by that but said "Oh that's great, after you serve a mission!"

In sharp contrast you see Recruit 6 here turning to me a little miffed the gates were locked. In fact I just missed him shaking the gate. He was actually upset.
Recruit 6: "I can't get in! Use your keys mom, you have keys! Why is it locked? We can't get in. I want to get in the Temple!"
I decided we should walk around front to the sign and take some pictures. We talked about Moroni on top of the temple, or at least Recruit 5 and I tried. I continued to deflect Recruit 6's ideas.
Some of which were, "let's just climb the fence" and "my legs can fit through those thingies we can just squeeze through" and the best one " How can we get on top of Moroni?" Hence the pointing finger below.
I tried again to explain, but I don't think he could get past the locked gates. I mean he sings about I love to see the Temple every Sunday in primary! How could he possibly be locked out??

I started to explain to him he couldn't go in the building even if we could go through the gate. However I figured it would just be a one sided conversation and at this point I was concerned that might actually cause damage to his psyche since I was a little surprised at his current frustration. We made it around to the front and Recruit 6 continued to trouble shoot the locked gate situation.
Notice Recruit 5, patiently standing for the pictures? He just waits while Recruit 6 continues to plot and try to convince me trespassing is a good idea.
I finally distracted him long enough to get a semi decent picture of them both looking in my general direction.
However it didn't last long and he was right back in the land of frustration. In reality it was only about 2 or 3 minutes in front and a total of 6 minutes at the Temple. Recruit 5 suggested we have a prayer at the Temple before we left and he led us to the shade of one of the Trees. I noticed during the prayer Recruit 6 slowly moved back into position to eyeball the fence and see if maybe he could try one more time to get me to let him squeeze through the rot iron fence.
I know my sweet boys were sent to be brothers here. They are a balance to one another and both will be wonderful missionaries one day. Recruit 5 will teach patiently and with love. Recruit 6 will try, get frustrated, and then put someone in a headlock. My work is cut out for me here don't you think?

5 comments:

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Kelli, you are hysterical! Number 6 is giving you a run for your money, is he not? I really do wish that it worked to just give people headlocks and then they would convert. I would take down my brother and sister then!

Beau & Lenette said...

I just pray one day that my family causes me as much laughter as yours!!!!! And since I have no boys, I won't have to worry about R2's injury! So funny...sorry it was at the exspense of an embarassing moment :)!

Heather said...

R6 was telling me the Temple was closed today in Primary. Now I get it.

Mikal said...

Yes, I can visualize the two of them. Don't despair...they will be be wonderful missionaries. The Lord is just teaching you through them. He has a sense of humor!

Benn and Shauna said...

hahaha that's awesome! Recruit 6 sounds like me the first time I saw that the gates were locked. I was so frustrated. Could not comprehend it and knew it had to be a mistake. Haha. Teaching Recruit 5 and 6 were some of the great memories I'll take with me from our ward. :)

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.