Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Making Progress

Sometimes you just have to keep trudging along. I often hear Dory from Finding Nemo singing inside my head when I start a task I feel is never ending or difficult.

"Keep on swimming, don't stop swimming" over and over again. See, if you know the tune you are now saying in your head, or possibly out loud if you have a lot of self confidence, "Keep on swimming, don't stop swimming."

It was a little like that yesterday and today as I steam cleaned what carpet I could get to. I still have the big den to do, but it is currently under siege by multiple family member's belongings.

Two of my girl friends from church showed up this morning and helped empty all my drawers in my bedroom out of a man's armoire, chest of drawers, two night stands and big dresser. Then we moved all the furniture out onto the driveway for GG pick up later in the day.

We probably could have gotten even more done had I not been in there "helping". Every time I opened a drawer I would yell "Oh My Gosh! Look at this, I have to tell you the story about this".

I should probably clean out my drawers more often. They said they liked my stories, but they are very nice and probably didn't know how to stop me. GG would have said "SHUT UP AND WORK".

In my defense of the excited exclamations however, let me explain.

When one is a military family member, one does not HAVE to remember to purge. It's an automatic occurrence at least every three years or sooner than that. Now I know there are some service members with jobs in the military that limit their duty station options, so they don't necessarily move as often as others.

I however have never lived anywhere this long. This October will be five years in the area and this past March will be four years in the house.

I'd better mark a calendar when we retire, it could get ugly.

Later in the afternoon the Big Football Guy stopped by at my request to help move a few other chests around to various kid's room. One was quite heavy, so I am thankful he has some muscle hidden under his girlish figure.

I am hoping to get started painting tomorrow afternoon. The Marine will be home Sunday night and I want to get as much done as possible.

However it may be difficult considering I keep getting interrupted when Recruit 5 runs in and says things like, "MOM! Recruit 6 has a sword. A REAL ONE!"

He found the sword set The Marine brought home from Okinawa. While they are real, they are not sharpened, but still sharp enough to cause damage, especially in the hands of Recruit 6, our weapons expert.

I happen to be on the phone with the company's CFO at the time. All I can say is how much I love working with a bunch of Marines. He is a recently retired Marine and patiently waited while I ran in and removed the weapon.

The hazard of being left with the two tiny guys and gutting your home and working all at the same time.

I am starting to miss The Marine, just a little bit. Plus I need my camera. These posts would be way more exciting with pictures, don't you think?

No comments:

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.