Search This Blog

Monday, July 13, 2009

Entering the second week alone/ The Marine and a Jack Hammer.

I am going into the second week alone here at the house with just the two little boys. Now I know why Heavenly Father said mom's should stay home with their children and not work when they are young.

Without my big helpers to be extra eyes, ears, and hands I find myself somewhat overwhelmed with all that needs to be done.

While The Marine and other Recruits are gone I am supposed to be getting the house ready for their return with my new furniture. Part of that was to switch the kids rooms.

The Plan:
Move Recruit 2 from bedroom C to upstairs, Recruit 6 from bedroom C to bedroom A, Recruit 3 from upstairs to bedroom C, and Recruit 4 from bedroom A to upstairs, leaving Recruit 5 to maintain residence in Bedroom A.

I also have to empty my stuff to move all the bedroom furniture to GG's house, leaving my room empty to paint before the return of the troops.

I also thought I could paint Bedroom C and the upstairs. Not going to happen.

My children, the sweet darlings, left me with a mess beyond description and the only little helpers were the tiny men. I've resorted to having them pick one object up, come to me for direction on what room it goes to.

They dutifully deliver it to that room, stand in the door way and toss it six inches into the room on the floor.

Then at some point I enter that room, yell for them, lovingly of course, and have them move it at least another foot in and to the left or right so I can walk in there.

Meanwhile at my mom's The Marine and Recruit 2 are putting in cross fencing. There's about 6 inches or less of top soil before they hit bedrock. She lives in the hill country and dynamite should be used. Folks don't have basements out there.

I just got a phone call from The Marine:

Recruit 2: "Mom, Dad wants to talk to you."

The Marine: "Hey, listen to this!"

(it's 0700 their time)

I hear the distinct sound of a jack hammer. In fact, my teeth start to rattle just hearing the vibration over the phone. It continues. I'm thinking, OKAY, I get it!

Finally it mercifully stops.

The Marine: "Hey"

Kelli: "So, your up early playing with your jack hammer"

The Marine: "Yep, I've already done five holes!"

The conversation went south from there, I'll spare you. He is still a Marine.

The first day they used the jack hammer, on Saturday, the drill bit got stuck. They had to take a couple of hours to fix that. The Marine said using the 90 pound jack hammer was the hardest work he's ever done. That's saying a lot since he works like a draft horse.

Their hands were swollen, they were exhausted and he didn't think he would be able to move the next morning. Thank goodness it was Sunday the next day. (Day of rest from daily labors, church etc.)

The Marine told me if I had to use the jack hammer I would be in bed for a month. No duh. That's why I would have been shopping at all the outlet malls once they turned that bad boy on.

All the while I am being counseled by my husband, "I'm not going to be in any mood or condition to fix whatever mess you and the boys have created when I get home."

So I am going to look around and try and wrap my head around where to start next. The garbage can keeps coming to mind...

No comments:

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.