Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The First and The Last

Today marks a momentous one time only occasion in my life. I have an official graduate of high school and an official graduate of preschool. AND THAT IS ALL OF THEM. The last one begins his educational adventure.
My first is moving on and my last is stepping in to take his rightful place in the public school system. My prayers go with both of them!


Recruit 1 will have a post after her graduation ceremony on Saturday, but this one is dedicated to Recruit 6 to document the beginning of his journey into elementary education. I'm just too tired to get teary eyed, but I feel it. I surely do.

I was unfortunately away on a trip when he graduated. It's odd, the tables being turned and I am the one having to get second hand reports and pictures of events in my children's lives. Usually I am giving detailed descriptions to the Marine. I do a great job by the way... Lots of details.

Instead he is reporting to me while I am away on a business trip. His reports are much shorter and WAY less descriptive, but he manages to do all that needs to be done. Not an easy task. I know.

In fact, it's been interesting to see a little glimpse the other side of coin so to speak. I am usually frazzled at home, trying to be in too many places at once, dealing with the angst of childhood and teenagers as well as deal with their emotions about their Dad being gone. I just assumed I had the rougher deal.

I now know how it feels to not be there when a great event happens, or you hang up after talking to a little one and look around knowing they are all together and your there by yourself, all alone, no one to snuggle or talk to.

Okay who am I kidding? I go away for 4 or 5 days, stay in 5 star hotels and just have to knock on my co-workers door and demand to be snuggled.

So they wouldn't snuggle me, but they would give me a hug if I whined outside their door long enough.
Point is, I'm not in miserable conditions, danger, maybe, just not miserable conditions. I WAS in Vegas recently and still need to tell you about the burn on my leg, the French guy and a Harley...

I just think it's been interesting to glimpse a tiny bit of what it's like to be the one gone. The Marine does a fabulous job a week at a time and he has benefited seeing what it's like to be the keeper of all things important.
I'm sure he would do fine over longer periods of time, but I hope to never test that. I describe things much better after all.

More importantly how blessed I am to have a man who is such an active and involved Dad. Leaving for little bursts here and there gives my kids an opportunity to be with their Dad in a way that wouldn't be possible if I were standing right there. You know, my powerful and forceful nature and all...

I still don't like missing these moments. My future walks mightily in a cap and gown ready to take on Kindergarten while my other future prepares to face the world.

I'm not sure which one worries me more...
I just hope these two and all the ones in between learn that if you work hard, do what is right, and stay close to your family, there's usually good things that come your way. Like CAKE!

3 comments:

Living in oblivion said...

Wow! One finishing and one begining!!! Sooo, you have 13 more years of report cards....until your last HS graduation!!! LOL!!! Just think, you just might have a college graduation at the same time as another high school graduation!!!

Jimbosbaby said...

Oh I know exactly how your feeling! My boys start kindegarten this fall and my oldest is getting married in 3 days. It is bittersweet to say the least! Congrats on your new graduate and on your little one who's just starting out! Only 12 more years until you watch him walk that stage :)

Anonymous said...

Wholy cow! Adam is all grown up! What an awesome kid you have!

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.