Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2009

13 June 2009 Recruit 1 Graduates!


Once upon a time, a little baby girl was born to a young Marine and his lovely wife. Then she grew up, turned 18 and got up one hot morning in June to curl her hair and get ready to graduate!


Family came to watch the big event and join in the fun!
Grandmothers, and cousins and Aunts. And me, taking pictures and making my #1 Recruit pose the entire day. She did request I stop taking pictures so she could finish getting dressed...
The Grandmother was quite willing to pose for me though! She looked extra cute that day!

We filled the stands. Here you see Recruit 2, Grammy: The Marine's mom, my sister and my mom, The Grandmother. Friends whose daughter was graduating too and who is best friends with Recruit 1 are sitting behind us. We had a combined cook out for the girls afterwards.





And there she goes! Across the stage to freedom, adulthood, and her future! The possibilities before her and the other 249 of them are endless! The possibility for heatstroke being first on the agenda.

Even thought it was very hot, of course we all stayed to take extra pictures while we slowly melted away.


Check out my cool bandage on my leg. Wasn't really the look I had originally planned. A souvenir from my Vegas trip. What happened in Vegas came home with me!
There we go. Nothing like reflective stands to really bake you.


Recruit 1 posing on the stage with Grammy.

My sister came out with her two little ones as well. First time she's been to visit since we moved way out yonder. I hope she comes back... Recruit 6 wasn't very nice to her little fella, who by the way, is BIGGER than Recruit 6. Doesn't seem to stop my tiny terrorist.

Awwww, just melts your heart. The Marine giving his first born a big juicy. How sweet. Brought a tear to my... Oh wait, never mind, as usual...

I knew it was too sappy for my crew. He is symbolically tossing her out on her diploma...

Hold on Recruit 1, it may not be so symbolic!! I'd like to see him try this in two years with Recruit 2.

This is as close to the stage as we could get him. Plus it was very very hot (did I mention that?) He was sluggish.


Leaving the football field. I tried to run ahead. It's not easy in heels on real football grass.



Gratuitous mom picture. She's just fun! We walked back out to our vehicles. Recruit 1 had decorated the jeep and my van.


The Grandmother asked if she could ride back home with Recruit 1. So I left assuming they were right behind me. Everyone else arrived back at home to change for the party and they still hadn't arrived. And time passed. I went out to the van to load stuff wondering where they were.
Suddenly, screaming around the corner, top down with country tunes blaring from the radio and The Grandmother's Pony tail flying were these two. Should I be worried turning them loose together?












Then it was off to the BBQ at our friends house. They were totally fabulous opening their home up, especially because you just never know who will show up! Great food, good folks and both our daughters are on their way off our grocery bill!


Another picture just because I can and she's mine! I'm so tickled with what I grew! I made her and her bestie put their caps and gowns back on for pictures at the house. Right when we were done, The Brown Mom also known as guard goddess or guard guru, and The Marine grab Recruit One just as she strips off her gown.




No way was I going to be part of this. Recruit One screamed repeatedly and it sounded like someone was cutting body parts off. If you have never had the opportunity to here this child scream, then you just don't know what you're missing, and your lucky.



While I wasn't willing to help toss her in the pool, fully clothes, I was certainly willing to photograph the whole event!



Still screaming...


aaaaannnnnd... she plugs her nose. Check out the faces below.


Big splash. But not too big, I can hear Recruit 1 now "Thanks Mom."

white shirt... oops...



The bestie didn't have her robe off yet and The Marine held on while she struggled to get away or at least ditch her graduation attire...

The Marine lost his grip momentarily but Recruit 1 came in from behind. The bestie was trying to bring The Marine with them.

He didn't go in, but her high heel sandals did.

As well as Recruit 1. She sacrificed herself to make sure she wasn't the only one wet and fully clothed.

And then they go for revenge on The Marine.




He fought them off as best he could.





But in the end just gave up.


Notice a theme here of The Marine trying to throw out Recruit 1! Don't worry honey, I'll make sure you have a key to house. Even when he changes the locks. He doesn't mean it.


Then it was on to GG. She needed to feel the love, the very wet soggy love, as well.


And she just took it. No way to fight in the kitchen.




So my amazing, feisty, typically teenage but extraordinary young woman graduated. Yesterday she flew away, moving out to start learning about life far away from The Marine and I and the other Recruits. I didn't fall apart, although I did manage a tear or two as The Marine drove us away from the airport. The last time I saw her, she was peeking around other passengers to look back at us as she got ready to go through security.
I would have been more sad but by the time we got home we had several squabbles to settle, an "incident" to discuss with someone (can't remember who or what) and stuff to clean. Life goes on and leaves little time to wallow. I have found I can worry and think about my oldest chick even while I am cleaning up the nose blow out or breaking up sword fights from the younger chicks still roosting at home.
Multi-tasking.
The key to surviving your children moving on. Well, that and texting.

1 comment:

Living in oblivion said...

Wow, even that day seems like it was just a few minutes ago! Atleast you know she is under another watchful eye that loves her!!!

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.