Search This Blog

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday without The Marine UPDATED

So far it's quiet. No fist fights, no screaming other than my own sweet wake up call to the Recruits.

No one has really had contact with each other and that's why. I've three white shirts and pants to go iron, little boys to wake up, which is not fun, and myself to get dressed.

I really really have the most difficult times with Sundays when The Marine is gone. I love church, I just don't always enjoy my children at church when their Dad isn't there.

Sometimes they surprise me. In fact, sometimes they surprise me and they are so awful that I lay in bed the following week wondering if I am possibly too ill to go to church and repeat the previous Sunday.

I usually get up anyway, because staying home with them ALL day on a Sunday is enough motivation to hide any fever I might have with Tylenol and get dressed.

What kind of bad behavior? It depends on the child and their age and their gender. I won't jinx myself today by mentioning specifics yet. I'll edit this post this afternoon and let you know.

I just felt like sitting down and saying out loud "I don't want to go to church with my children! I don't want to stay at home with them either!"

Most importantly I believe that the Lord is aware of my family while My Marine is away from me. A loving Father in Heaven will comfort, and support me no matter what if I make myself available to that comfort and support.

The sure promise of that is why I am no longer trying to decide if I am ill this morning....

going to go iron shirts now...

Later that afternoon:
Surprisingly, and I really am surprised, church was not nearly as painful as it has been in the past with my children and no father around. I did miss The Marine during primary. He team teaches our CTR 5 and 6 year old classes with me. I wasn't as prepared either and either the kids were off today, or I was. Recruit 6 is a chatty little fellow in class and I need to work on that. Until they call another teacher I have both Recruits 5 and 6 in my class.

Recruit 1 taught the Relief Society lesson today (our women's meeting for those of you who are not LDS). I wasn't able to be there because I was in primary, but I did crack the door twice to spy on her. The second time she just told me to come on in, but I quickly shut the door and went back to where I was supposed to be.

I didn't get a nap yet today, but it's okay. There has been little contention and I count that as a great blessing.

I did read a comment from my good friend Rebecca right before I left for church. (bottom of this post) and I remember bearing my testimony that day. I appreciate her reminding me of my own testimony and the best part I still believe it.

Heavenly Father provides me with the extra strength I need to shoulder the burden placed on my shoulder's during my husband's absences. I kind of like the phrase I used last deployment. He will bear me up on Angel's wings.

It's true, I feel lighter today already!

Thanks for reading... I'm going to go take that nap now and dream about The Marine.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You know, you were the one who made me believe I could do it, when you bore your testimony that you were born up on wings of angels when your husband was gone. I know it is true. Unfortunately, I also know it still sucks. May your children be sweet and loving and beautifully behaved today!

Carley said...

I sooooo know how you feel! I swear, church is the worst part of deployment. Sunday's just about kill me right now.

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.