Search This Blog

Monday, September 8, 2008

Teach 'em to be Tough!

There's a lot I should write about. Hurricane Hanna. The prep for it, my friend who had to help me put the jeep top up in the POURING rain that was the precursor to Hanna. I found out I could stay quite focused with pouring rain stinging my eyeballs and a half Irish- half Filipino Guard instructor calling me all kinds of names. Well~ focused might be too strong of a word, I did make us re-do the top twice and would have a third time except I caught my very wet friend's death glare through the rain. I figured it would have to do and let it go.

I also could write in detail the adventures of Recruit 1, but she still hasn't given me permission to release details...

So I thought I would write about raising tough children.

I want my children to have sweet gushy insides and tough outsides.

They need to be able to know who they are and press forward even when others around them are intimidated by them, or misunderstand them.

I also want them to be able to take responsibility for their mistakes, their beliefs, and their choices. I don't want them to EVER apologize for who they are.

I like, I mean really LIKE who each one them is in the very center of their beings. WHO they are, are good, sweet, kind people. Every last one of 'em.


They just don't always reflect that in every given instance. Isn't that what growing up is all about? It's kind of messy and you have to be TOUGH.

Growing up isn't for sissy these days ya know...

Come with me as Recruits 5 and 6 demonstrate a few of my desires for my posterity.

So I want them to be tough as a pine knot on the outside and warm and mushy on the inside like a toasted marshmallow.

It's not that I want them stepping on toes... I want them to be able to have their toes stepped on and withstand the pain, and hopefully the urge to strike back.

I want them to know they can do whatever they need to do, even when it's hard. Like make tough decisions that go against popular opinion, or be tough when they need to stand their ground. Or speak up when they need too, but speak with the spirit. Not always easy now is it?

I want them to be daring, not dangerous. Unless it's against the wicked things of the world, in that case, I want the darkness to flee as they approach.

I want to teach them to face this incredible life head on and with energy and gusto and stare down those who say you can't!


I want them to learn there's a time to put on your top hat and tails. Why have it if you never use it? There are good and beautiful things in life we should seek after. Culture and refinement.

And a time to hang out and have fun. Everyone needs to just sing for a while.

I want them to learn to be tough alright, tough where and when it counts so they can find the joy and happiness Heavenly Father has in store for them. I've already found my greatest joy.

Well~ my SIX greatest joys.

1 comment:

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

This is an awesome post, Kelli. I love the pictures, especially the top hat! I could see myself wearing one of those as long as it meant I am portraying "culture". I miss you! Also, I want to know what happened with #1! Tell her to divulge!

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.