Search This Blog

Friday, February 6, 2009

What do I do alone in a hotel room at 0630? I write rhyme-y stuff!

I am on a trip away from my family, ever wonder what happens to me mentally?

I have no one to order, command or get dressed. I am left to do what ever I feel is best.

So I took my time dressing without anyone around. My mind was wide open, and this is what I found.

As I dressed for the day I sat down to put on my face. There was this lit make-up mirror in this fancy place.

Without little beasties there was little distraction, these were my thoughts as I went to into action:

"Mirror Mirror on the stand become old and wrinkled I see I am.
Youth is fading, maps appear. Highways from ear to ear.

If I am honest and truth be told, I really didn't feel like I was old,
I just felt like me, until I looked at you, lighting and reflecting a different view."

The mirror thought for a moment reflecting back my gaze, then slowly spoke as if from a haze,
"Old and wrinkled yes, but don't forget strong. You've endured the world but carried on.
Love, laughter, grief and sorrow, you've lived IN your life, not just dreamed of tomorrows.

Eyes crinkle with laughter, brows furrow with heartbreak, each line reflecting this life where you've placed a stake.

Husband and children are part of your story. Sacrifice and commitment reap eternal glory.
Lines and wrinkles come with age, what's not sun damage is wisdom making you sage.

Put on your make up and for your day prepare!

But remember this truth while you fix your hair;
Only you can prevent transgression, sin and despair.

You have a choice how you move through change.
Stay here in the mirror like many do, or realize it's only a small part of you.

What I show you is an outer shell. One you need to take care of, nurture, keep well.
But to focus on me as the brunt of your being, well that's just silly and precious time stealing."

Thoughtfully I finished my hair, mascaraed my lashes, lipsticked my lips and of my youth saw flashes. When I was done I sat back and looked at the mirror on the stand, my past already gone, my future at hand.

The words rang true, and it's what I always believed, but sometimes it's hard with the mirror's bright light circling me.

I checked my lipstick one last time, unplugged the mirror, I was running out of time. I'd had my moment of "do I need Botox?" that was enough of those silly thoughts.


I grabbed my cute brown shoes and thrust my feet in. Flung on my scarf and was ready to begin.


I paused for a moment to say my prayers. "Father thank you for a face that has the opportunity to age. That means I'm still here turning the page. Please bless me today I'll do what is right, uplift others and fight the good fight.

Until you say it's time to come home, let the mirror show all the love that has been sown. I'll check to make sure I've stayed with in the lines, no lipstick on teeth, no dirt or grime.
I'll go do good things, I'll try to reflect in my eyes, the love of the Savior, I'll try to be wise.

I just have one small request if I could, when The Marine looks at me, can you make me look good?"

4 comments:

Living in oblivion said...

Loved it!!! You need to copywrite it!!! Where are ya? i hope somewhere fun!!! I'm looking ar houses...Ed is wanting to live in Richlands....

Angela said...

Kel. That was awesome. YOUr so talented. And I sure don't see any wrinkles! YOu look just the same to me. Loved all the inspiration and the end.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Haha, I LOVE the first photo!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Okay, now I read the poem. That was Beautiful, Kelli, and so true and poignant.

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.