Search This Blog

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Valentine's Day Surprise

So Friday the 13th, (that's kind of creepy to type by the way), ANYWAY... Friday the 13th I was working diligently in my office in my house. The Marine had called to say he would be working until around 1600 (4 pm). I said OK.

It didn't matter to me, he was 5 hours away and wouldn't be home for five more weeks or so. I didn't care what time he got off work.

So about 1500 that afternoon (3 pm) I'm working and reading an email and The Marine calls. I had ignored him earlier so I figured I should pay attention to him. I told him to stop talking so I could pay attention.

He had been asking me what I was doing. I had said 'nothing' because I was actually WORKING and was trying to absorb a work related email.

He said "Nothing?"

I said, getting annoyed, "No, I'm actually working, let me stop reading this and pay attention to you, now what?"

He said, "so, you're doing nothing"

I was about to get tweaked and retort some snippy little comment but I was stopped short.

THIS MAN WALKED INTO MY OFFICE GRINNING.

It was The Marine.

I wish I could report that I screamed with joy, but I did not.

It was more of a loud "OHOHOH". Not real lady like, or attractive.

The Marine grinned.

I jumped up and smacked him a couple of times. Thinking back I wonder if he would have come home had he known I would greet him with some ancient tribal yell and a smack down. I did hug him after I collected myself from my almost hysterical reaction to having an unexpected MAN appear in my office.

I was actually very happy to see him. He even bought me a beautiful bouquet of roses. It was a combined Valentine's Day/Birthday Bouquet. My birthday is tomorrow. ug.

So The Marine had to leave and return to duty and that's why I was blogging at 0130 in the morning and couldn't sleep. I did sleep last night. I was so tired, but knew it was going to be another bad night, so I went to the store and bought some melatonin and Benadryl.
I think I woke up once, but at least I didn't patrol the perimeter of the house again.
When I was at the pharmacy I discussed my situation with the pharmacist. He looked thirteen.

Kelli: "Hey there. I need to know what I can take to knock me out for at least six hours, what do you think about melatonin and Benadryl?"

pre-school pharmacist: Um... well....

Kelli: "Look, I've been up for two days, my husband is gone and I'm out of Ambien. Plus I think it doesn't really let me sleep, it just makes me LOOK like I'm a sleep, I'm really really tired, I want to be unconscious."

pre-school pharmacist: yeah... well

And then we discussed Benadryl, the side effects, you can get a tolerance, don't do it for more than one or two nights, go back to your doctor and discussed other sleep aids, some random questions I through in there to see if he really knew what he was talking about or had just come to work with his dad.

I should tell you I looked really really bad. I had no make-up, a gaunt look, flat hair and I forgot to put on real shoes, so I was wearing house shoes. Recruit 3 was with me. She was laughing a lot but from a few feet away.
Disclaimer: I in no way promote melatonin or Benadryl or a mixture thereof. Go see your doctor.

So I slept but I'm still super tired and I still hate laundry and housework. Sorry, just felt right to throw that in.
I do however have these beautiful mixed color bouquet of roses that have opened up and remind me of all the great diversity in our lives. The Marine might say in my personality, but I prefer to think of my family as a colorful bouquet of roses with just a few thorns to keep me honest...
I just love him.


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Melatonin is good. Have you tried RutaVaLa? Good stuff too. However, I hear you, I sleep rotten lately, no matter what I do.

Living in oblivion said...

You are tooo funny! Hope you are sleeping! House shoes! hahahahaha! Atleast they matched!

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.