Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

What Does a Marine Family Do During the Holidays?

We shoot each other. But of Course!

Yes, it's February and I'm writing about the 2010 holiday season.
As our family grows up and adds in-laws, and soon grandchildren. We thought it would be fun to add some traditions.

It doesn't have to always be the same tradition, but one that involves an activity of some kind to make memories and have family members work together. Or play together. And take pictures of course!

This year we had a Christmas Day Nerf War. The Marine and I were on opposite teams. We set up and played capture the flag. It was the Son-in-laws idea. On his mission he shared how he and other Elders (the title our missionary goes by, like Elder Smith, Elder Jones etc) would play capture the flag. He laid down the rules, some of which I followed. Some of which I guess I didn't hear clearly. There were certain areas of the building we didn't play in. So some areas were off limits.

Either way my team beat the Marine's team several times! I was giddy with victory! Only to get assaulted repeatedly by the Marine's team every chance they got. I was targeted. I know I was.

I grabbed their "flag" one time and ran around the building to the other side screaming "I got it, I got it" only to find out we were in a time out. The Marine was working on a jammed weapon. Everyone just looked at me and said "WE ARE NOT PLAYING RIGHT NOW". Both teams said this. I was sad.

I said, yeah but if we were I WON I WON!

Well no one told me. But it makes sense now why I wasn't challenged. And oh how I ran... it was thrilling!

There were claims several times of cheating. I explained AGAIN that I wasn't cheating... I just didn't quite understand the rules. The Son-in-law obviously had a communication issue with me and the Marine, well he's just mean and always accuses me of manipulating something or bending the rules, or making them up as I go. So. I'm the mother.

Muwahahahahaahahahahah

Let's just say my team kicked booty! And looked good doing it!

Check out my weapon. I know it's mine because as of the time this picture was taken, I was the only Mommy. Next year I will have to be Grandmother, or if MY mom is playing, well, I will have to be Grandmother 2 or something.

This picture was really for The Marine. I had just shot him. I think he enjoyed it. Not sure, but why wouldn't he. Although now looking at this picture I see somewhat of what might be considered a crazed look in my eye.

My girls. They were both on The Marine's team. I had the other boys. I think they were discussing strategy.
Or maybe they were plotting. Or discussing different ways to wear the latest Nerf accessory. You can see baby poking out a little! Let's all take a moment to sigh. Recruit One is so tiny that baby has no room! She is going to be a big round belly with arms and legs sticking out by July!

The Marine got a remote helicopter. It came with us too so he could have a safer place to fly it rather than my house! He now flies it in the house and when I am sitting in my chair working, he hovers over me and tries to land it on me. It's annoying. I pretend like I don't know he's dive bombing me. It is only hard to ignore when the hovering mini copter is blowing my hair.


Here you see it hovering around the Christmas tree in the foyer.


Here you see the Son-In-Law checking his weapon. He was on my team. I KNOW he was tickled to be on his Mother-in-law's team! I mean who wouldn't be?


Here is Recruit 4, he is totally excited. I just don't remember why. The problem with blogging two months later...

It was really a lot of fun and if NERF guns weren't so stinkin' expensive I'd say let's do it next year. I'm thinking we need a paint ball war next year. I bet the cost of buying all the Nerf guns would be the same as paint ball rental. The base has a paint ball field. I wonder what it would cost to rent it just for us. I think it would be a hoot to have The Marine family against another family from church. Good times, Good times... Recruit One will have have our new grand baby so I can sit out and bounce him while they all splatter each other.

OR...

OH I KNOW, I could start buying coveralls now, and get our team name put on the back and get the other family to buy different colored coveralls and put their team name on the back and... Oh I've got planning to do...

I've got to find another family for the shoot out.

This could be good.


No comments:

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.