Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Birthday Review


February 20th a hundred years ago a little baby girl was born to a young Airman and his wife in Madrid, Spain.

I'd like to say she was a beautiful baby, but she found a letter her mother had written to her grandmother that indicated this might not have been the case. However... later it came true after the newborn phase was through. I promise she became much cuter.

Okay, it was me!!!

Present number 1:
Yesterday I drove up and there was a box on my porch. I wondered what did I order now? I hadn't, it was a birthday box from my mother! I love boxes from my mother! I've hidden all the candy but Recruit 6 saw today where it was hidden. It's probably already gone. He is a candy fiend.

Today was my actual birthday, and of course The Marine is not here. It's okay though, I won't be here for his birthday this spring either. So there.

However, I think he cleaned the bathroom (present number 2) before he left as part of his birthday present to me and NOT his attempt to make me feel bad for not enjoying/performing house work. You can read about what ticks him off if you really want to know.

So, my birthday. This morning I woke up a few minutes before the alarm went off but laid there a few minutes, knowing that I would have to get up and iron all the white shirts. This is a job usually done by The Marine every Sunday morning. He's not here. I mentioned that. I know.

Present number 3:

I heard Recruit 2 come down the stairs and get the dogs from my room, shut my door and let them outside.

Hmmm. Very interesting.

That is not normal. He got up on his own, BEFORE my alarm went off, AND came down stairs AND let the dogs out. Nice... I mean you don't understand. That was truly effort on his part and I was really touched. He's a wonderful almost adult.

Present number 4:
So I jumped out of bed only to find Recruit 2 making breakfast! He was so sweet! I said why are you up? He said, "well I wanted to make you breakfast but you got out of bed." I told him I would gladly eat whatever he fixed, but I had to iron. He was so pleasant about it and didn't complain or anything.

Present number 5:
Wonderful sacrament meeting today! As Latter Day Saints, our Sunday main meeting is called a sacrament meeting. Today however we had a malfunction that required we partake of the Sacrament at the end of the meeting instead of at the beginning. So we heard the talks first.

The talks were all wonderful. One of my young women students from the seminary class I teach gave a wonderful talk and she looked beautiful up there. Then a friend of mine gave a talk and I just wanted to hug her. She had had a bad morning before church, had altercations with two teen daughters, and then had to come to church and speak about love! I just wanted to give her a giant hug. How many times have I been in her position? A lot. It's really awful to be screaming at your kids and then go to church and have to teach a lesson on kindness, patience, love, etc... Bless her for her honesty!

Present 6:
Recruit 4 is now old enough to pass Sacrament. It really is a gift to see him passing the bread and water so reverently and respectfully. He is a force to be reckoned with and I am grateful to have him as mine.

During Sacrament the bread and water are passed. Recruit 6 started stressing out when we didn't get to "eat". I need to talk to him! sigh...

Then he wanted a "big" cup. The extra cups they had to get because we were out of our regular little plastic cups were much bigger. He was feeling slighted he had gotten a 'little' cup. I spent a minute trying to explain to him and then finally said "be quiet or I'm taking you out!" (not taking him out like shooting him, but taking him out of the chapel, felt the need to clarify that...)

Present number 7:
Watching Recruit 2 hold a baby during the meeting. She is so calm and patient and loving. Wish she was that way with some of her own brothers. However I truly enjoy watching her with the babies. There is something so calm and peaceful the way she is when she is holding a baby. She will make a wonderful mother one day. (NOT TODAY)

Present number 8:
Sister E. brought me TAMALES!!!! I needed those! I have been wanting tamales since December. I didn't get any for Christmas. They were super yummy. We had them for lunch after church. I miss tamales.

Present number 9:
After church I walked in the house to discover the kitchen and den were clean and the clothes all put away! there was a note with several different Happy Birthday's written by cleaning Elves!!! That was fabulous!

Recruit 5 and 6 walked in behind me and both said OH BOY let's check out our room! Only to find that the elves failed to enter their dungeon. Recruit 2 laughed hysterically as the little boys ran to see if the 'elves' had visited their room. The Elves HAD NOT visited their room. It is still a dungeon.

Present number 11:
My "other" sons from church brought me some cookies! I have such love for the youth in my seminary class. I was really touched they brought me yummy treats.

Present number 12:
There was not nearly as much fighting today as there could be and have been before. They were all really trying. There were a few moments... but no blood or ER visits. Success!

I heard from my mom, my mom-in-law, and my sweet Recruit 1. Multiple birthday wishes via Facebook and friends at church. It was just wonderful!

Living so far away from my family has always been bittersweet. I miss them and I miss "home" but life in the Marine Corps has been good and has brought other "family" into my life I would have missed out on. I am happy and content.

Today was a good day.

Now if the Marine would just come home...


2 comments:

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Wow, everyone was so thoughtful! I especially love what Recruit 2 did. Warms my heart. And I love the picture of Recruit 1 on your sidebar. Beautiful!

Chow said...

Looks like you had a great birthday!!! I hope this is great year for you! Happy (belated) birthday!

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.