Search This Blog

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Happy Birthday Marine

The Marine hasn't figured it out yet, and quite frankly, I just realized it when I saw the date on my computer. Today is the Marine's personal Marine Corps Birthday. The day he went into boot camp. The day he got off the DI's bus, stepped on to the yellow footprints and became a man. Okay, well started the journey. He was only a lowly worm recruit, but a short time later he received his Eagle Globe and Anchor and earned the name Marine.

A name he has honored for the last 26 years and I have no doubt will continue to honor it. Even when he is 80 years old and addled minded. He'll still know enough to stand at attention for the National Anthem and the Marine's Hymn.

I have learned a lot from him over the years. Leadership, attention to detail, integrity, hard work, you quit when the job is done, not when it's 1630, trust in your gear, training, and fellow Marine, or in my case Marine Wife. Those traits have gotten us through a lot of deployments, separations, (because of training, schools, and exercises), and many moves.

The Marine with Recruits 1 and 3. Daddy's girls.

People ask how I feel about certain political situations. Sometimes as a Marine Corps family there's not a lot of time to argue politics. We are too busy caring for those around us, strengthening and uplifting our children, our Marines and their families.

It's been a good life, one I wouldn't trade. It is one of sacrifice, and in the middle of deployments sometimes it seems too much, but in the end we are stronger, learn to dig deeper, and love harder than we might have ever been able to otherwise.


His leadership in the home, at church and in the Marine Corps is part of who he is. The man is not separated from the Marine, the Marine from the man, or the Priesthood holder from either. He is still on his journey and as retirement looms in our not so distant future, I know there are adventures still to be had.

Happy birthday you old gungy gruff, wonderful stubborn infuriating and valiant man! We are a little thicker than when we started down this road, but I'm glad we are still traveling it together!


Love,
The Wife ~
PS you can only call me THE WIFE until midnight tonight. After that I get to smack you!




1 comment:

Stacey said...

Awe!!! Congrats to you all!! Thanks for being such an awesome part of our family!!

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.