Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Trying new things

So I am trying to be a more positive spouse. My Mom bought me this great book by John Bytheway (his real name) when I was home visiting her last week. It's a quick read and I zipped through it on the plane on the way home.

There are no new grand revelations in the book. Just reminders of how criticism only hurts our relationships etc.

I've always told The Marine positive things about him, but perhaps there is always a "but" on the other end, so I decided I would try and only comment on the positive.

I arrived home and told him how much I appreciated his taking over the house and kids while I was gone and what a great job I thought he had done, which was true, he did a great job. He thanked me and gave me a hug.

I told him later I appreciated his support in my job. He paused, thanked me and gave me a hug.

Yesterday, I called him at work and asked him where the trash stickers were and then told him that I really just wanted to tell him I loved him and appreciated who he was. He got very quiet.

Then he asked me, "What are you fixing to tell me?"

I replied, "Nothing, I just wanted to tell you I loved you."

The Marine: "What did you do?"

Kelli: "NOTHING, I just wanted to say how much I appreciated all that you do"

The Marine with an odd laugh, "Okay, but you should just tell me what happened."

Good grief, I can't win! Although, in writing this, it seems to me I may have found a new kind of torture...

3 comments:

Sharon said...

That's funny, at the end "just tell me what you did." What's this book? I think I need something like that. I'm a l ot like you thanks, but....I could use a more positive attitude

Kelli said...

The book is called Behind Every Good Man by John Bytheway.

Living in oblivion said...

You are too funny!
whenever i say Honeeeeey? Ed always asks me what went wrong. LOL!

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.