Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How to get a 16 year old boy out of your car!



When our children begin high school, they also begin taking a church class called seminary. Where we live they have to attend early morning seminary. Or early morning cemetery as our fabulous seminary teacher calls it on occasion.


My high school children start their school day at 0630 every morning for four years. Add to that family scripture and prayer, our alarms start going off at 0530. Now think about most teenage boys... ug.


Recruit 2 and I have a unique relationship. We often talk about his future, his feelings, how he views the world.


Okay. I'm making that up. But we do have good talks and are pretty open, as open as a 16 year old will be with his mom.


So this morning I drive Recruit 2 at 0630 up to the church building to begin is day. I leave the other children briefly to drive him a block or so. I expect to pull up, shove him out and boogie back home. The Marine usually takes him and I can lay in bed an extra thirty minutes.


I'm annoyed I have lost my thirty minutes.


We get up there and the Bishops car is in the parking lot, empty. A white van waits in the parking lot. People are in it. Another student gets out and goes and stands by the church doors. The seminary teacher has not yet arrived.


Kelli: "Get out."


Recruit 2: "Mom, Sister Seminary teacher isn't here yet."

Kelli: "So, the Bishop is. Get out."

Recruit 2: "Mom, the building is locked."

Kelli: "The bishop's car is empty." The lights of the Marine's truck are shining straight into the car. Yes I'm driving his truck BECAUSE I CAN!!!! (he's in Quantico)

Recruit 2: "He's probably doing something important, I don't want to interrupt him."

Kelli: "RECRUIT 2, you nit. It's 0630, I have 4 kids alone at home. Get out."

Recruit 2: "MOM! Look, that boy is standing by the doors!"

Kelli: "He didn't try the doors, I watched. I bet they are unlocked. Where do you think the Bishop is? GET OUT!"


Recruit 2 doesn't move. So I try a new tactic.


Kelli: "So... Did you ever think your eternal companion is out there somewhere right now? She probably has guys totally trying to hook up with her. How does that make you feel? Do you pray that she is protected and has strength to stay pure? I mean really. Think about it. She could be anywhere having experiences and being prepared to meet you and marry in the Temple. I think you need to start praying for her, so she is protected and prepared and that you will have the spirit with you to know when you meet her. I mean she could even be on the other side of the world having lunch RIGHT NOW!"


I took a breath and he looked at me.


Recruit 2: "I'm not marrying Kenz!"


(her family just moved to Korea and honestly I wasn't even thinking of her. But HE did.... hmmmmm, anyway, I go on.)


Kelli: "Son, I'm not referring to her specifically, just the point that she, your future wife whomever it is, is out there, alive and breathing and having experiences... Hey wait, what are you doing? I had more to say!"


Recruit 2 rolls down the window and yells at the other student to see if the doors are unlocked.


They are.


(like I said)

He gets out, looks at me and says "later mom, love you." Slams the door and heads off.

Ha! Victory!

I am free!!!!

No comments:

Disclaimer

What follows on these posts is true to the best of my knowledge, except what isn't. I only change names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.